Friday, March 29, 2013

Last Man Standing

Dear Diary:

As I am about to enter my fourth month of unemployment, the job prospects seem to be getting dimmer and dimmer.  Less people are reaching out to offer assistance as before, and those that do offer to help do not follow through.  It seems that offers to help people secure employment are merely nothing more than polite conversation while having a drink these days.

Fortunately though, I can now say that everyone on my team has found a job.  I was always worried about the rest of my team more than myself, but now that it is only myself left without employment amongst us, well, my ass is puckering.  That sense of pseudo-solidarity with them is now gone, and I am left to my own devices.

I guess when they did not have jobs, and were asking for assistance or guidance, it made me feel useful. Even if I could not offer anything, the fact that they asked made me feel good.  And now that I will no longer be asked by any of them for anything, it kind of puts a final nail in the coffin to that particular part of my professional career.

And that is fine, but it also beings about a sense of loneliness.  It really does take a while to get used to the sound of nothing.  It takes a while to get adjusted to the fact that when you apply for a job, more times than not you will not be acknowledged.  I guess the feeling I am trying to convey is being no longer needed, if that makes sense.  It's not similar to divorce, but it somewhat is, that feeling of isolation, loss, and being no longer needed by anyone.

Like I said, I am about to enter my fourth month, and I am still not used to it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Read three posts on your blog. Well written, but seriously.... Step up! Cook up a storm. Register for a BBQ cook off this summer. Go to at Thai restaurant. Seriously, The people who don't support you now were likely not really friends. Go out and take over the world...or at least cook something more exciting than a grilled cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just started reading your blog. I really needed to find end. I'm near the end of my divorce. Thanks.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi have you found a job yet? You have so many potentials. Don't need to worry. Try Cashcall Inc.

    ReplyDelete