Saturday, October 22, 2011

Etiquette For Dating A Divorced Person

Dear Diary:

*This is in no way directed towards anyone in particular, but just a general observation based upon past experiences*

When dating a divorced person, there is a certain rule, or rather thing, that one who has not been divorced should not do, particularly if you have not been dating for a long period of time.

For starters, it is perfectly ok, and perfectly acceptable for one to ask about the divorce. Personally, I always tell the women I date that it is fine with me for them to ask whatever questions they may have, and I am honest with my answers. If I am interested in someone, and things are going well, being completely honest about my divorce is a definite. My general answer at this point is that it just didn't work out.

If someone wants to know more, that is fine. However, remember that asking if there was any infidelity can have negative consequences, particularly if the divorced person was the one that was left while they ex was out fucking some strange.

However, once learning that the person your dating is divorced, the main rule to live by is never, ever, say anything negative about the divorce in order to try to make yourself feel better.

If you are dating someone who is divorced, and they are no longer interested, for whatever reason (you are boring, boorish, bad in bed, overbearing, bat shit crazy, etc., etc.) the ONE FUCKING RULE you should remember is NEVER, EVER FUCKING EVER, say something like:

"Well, your ex didn't give you another chance, so I thought you would be more compassionate and understanding."

Yeah, that is only going to have on reaction, most likely ending in a "Fuck You."

Just passing on some knowledge folks.

4 comments:

  1. I am really hoping this post wasn't inspired by true events, but it probably was. Sorry friend, at least you won't see her again?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whaaaa?? someone really said that? Douche. That is atrocious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch, ouch, ouch. I'm very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it's sad that there really are ignorant and stupid people out there like that!!

    ReplyDelete