Friday, August 5, 2011

You Asked, I Answered, Part 5

Dear Diary:

Q:Do you want to stay in DC? What are your favorite/least favorite parts about living here?

A:

What? Are you fucking kidding me? Hell no I do not want to stay in this rat infested city. And I am not talking about rodents.

I mean, would you want to live in a city without it's own signature sandwich? Me either.

But more seriously, I do not want to stay in a city that does not afford me an equal voice in our government. I do not want to stay in a city that thinks it has to elect a mayor because he is "black enough" even though he is fucking incompetent. And I do not want to stay in a city that settles for mediocrity because it doesn't want to fucking get shit done.

Now, staying in the area is a much different question, as I generally like the DMV. It has made me quite a bit of money, and I have really good friends here. I can see myself living in NOVA, or even MD, but for the long haul, I will not live in DC. Fuck that shit.

Now, I own a house that I can rent for the mortgage, so I never have to sell it if I do not want to. And I have a decent amount of equity in it, so I do have options if I want to get the fuck out of here.

As for my favorite things about the city, there really is only one thing, and that is the way the city is comprised of various different neighborhoods each with their own distinct feel. Unfortunately, the neighborhood I live in has been infested with hipsters, and it takes every ounce of energy not to push half those fuckers in front of a moving bus.

As far as the thing I like least about this city, that is simple. It's DC itself. Some think it is a black city. It isn't a black city. It isn't a white city. This is the capital of the free world. It has no ethnicity. And people who live here shouldn't pick leaders who evoke a certain cultural, shit, what is the word, ethos (?) just so they think they "get them." Fuck that.

Take Mayor Gray for instance. Why did he win? Because he was "blacker" than Mayor Fenty? Look what that got us. Nothing getting done except people getting investigated, and one scandal after another. I would much rather have people who are willing to piss people off and get shit done than pander and get nothing done, and that is not a racial thing. I just want shit to get done. Otherwise, give me my property taxes back. Unfortunately, the history of the so called leaders of this city doing nothing but serving their own self interest has done nothing but breed a culture of mediocrity in this town. Fuck that.

This is the capital of the United States of America. This is the capital of the free world. People need to actually take some pride in this town and start acting like it.

(And I am on my second beer since of the day, and it about 12:30. It's going to be a long day.)

2 comments:

  1. Saw your comment about hipsters. Have you seen this website: http://dadsaretheoriginalhipster.tumblr.com/

    Pretty good for a little work day distraction.

    Can't wait for brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i voted for gray when i was a DC resident. fenty was a talentless hack who misused DC resources for security on his bike rides and had nothing better to do than bust on teachers for fun. ooh, he was youthful. he had a blackberry. yeah, and that's all he had.

    i truly believe that home rule would do wonders for internal DC politics. i think people get elected (cough, marion barry, cough) in the district because, at the end of the day, it's all a game. nothing these people do really matters, so it doesn't matter how incompetent they are. congress is running the show...

    ReplyDelete