Friday, July 8, 2011

You Asked, I Answered, Part 1

Dear Diary:

For starters, this will be the first of a series where I answer the questions you have asked me. If you have more questions, feel free to email me directly. My contact info is located here. And here we go!

Q: I want to know how you cope with it, because my life is equally boring and I can barely deal with it any more.

A: Coping is a relative term. I prefer to call it living.

Now, living is also a relative term, aside from the whole biologically viable part, such as having a beating heart. But I know that isn't what you meant.

Now, there are those who consider living to be chock full of excitement. You can agree with that or disagree with that, but in all honesty, there is no set definition of what it means to be living, other than the whole heart beating thing.

For me, I like to accomplish things. I like to see things get done. I like the fact that I am having my house painted. I like the fact that I can go out and hang out with friends. I like working on my garden. Some may think that is boring, but to them, I say, "I really do not give a fuck what you think, it's my life."

I do what I want, when i want to do it. If I want to do laundry on a Friday night so that I can bank money and then do something extravagant later, that is my decision. And I think that is what it really boils down to. Making a decision and being content with it.

To me, the whole concept of "coping" means that I am substituting an artificial "something" and not being true to myself. Some people choose alcohol, drugs, adrenaline, etc., etc. There was a stage after my divorce when I was coping, but I am not coping anymore.

Now, I just make a decision that I am content with, and live with whichever outcome happens.

3 comments:

  1. I love the way you answered this question. you're doing, not just being. Even if life sucks sometimes, you still push forward. That's what it's all about!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice. love this. making a decision and being content. it's the hardest lesson ever, but once you learn it, it makes your life just so, so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that .. "i really do not give a fuck what you think, it's my life" .. though i act like i care, my actions have shown otherwise. aha.

    i love how you answered this. i think it's good you're not coping anymore - that you just make a decision that you want and then live with however it may turn out in the end.

    that's great.

    ReplyDelete