Sunday, May 1, 2011

On The Road

Dear Diary:

I guess my fascination with Key West started in the early 90s after watching, well, Key West, which you probably do not recall was a short lived television series. But anyway, ever since seeing the show I always wanted to visit the place. I mean, it was like the tropics, except you could drive to it. And I liked the fact that it was old. And quaint. It is kind of like portions of Cape Cod, except when you go in the ocean you are guaranteed not to freeze your balls off.

So, I decided to take my first real vacation since well, I was married. Needless to say it has been a while.

The drive down was not bad at all. I made it past Daytona in one day, which was on purpose because I have always wanted to do the drive from Miami to Key West, and since well, I wanted to be able to enjoy the view, there is really no point in doing that drive at night. But I have to say the drive through the Keys was a bit of a let down. I guess I was expecting nothing but views of the ocean, but instead it was more driving through small towns and the like. Granted, there were parts that were really beautiful, but for the most part, it was not.

Key West itself was nice. The architecture of the homes was really impressive. For example:


And some of the views were rather amazing. Such as:


And...

Not to mention...(some may get this, others may not)


But all in all, while I enjoyed the trip, I ran out of things to do after a day because it is not a place to really enjoy by yourself. I mean sure, I had fun, but I think it is more of a place to go with other people, or a significant other. But I guess I just have to learn to live with that feeling for a while.

Another thing I have to learn is to wear sunscreen. My head got fucking ROASTED.

3 comments:

  1. LOVED the pictures! Sounds like a good time. I'd love to go to Key West! It's on my list. What was your favorite part of the trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love florida. i prefer the gulf-coast side, naturally, but the whole state is one of my favorite places to go recharge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to go there too. Hmmm... may have to plan a trip soon.

    ReplyDelete