Wednesday, April 20, 2011

In Defense Of Sensibly Boring

Dear Diary:

I was born on the East Coast. Even though I moved around a lot growing up, I have always maintained an East Coast mentality. And now living on the East Coast, I savor the fast pace of life in general. I rather enjoy the fact that time seems to move quickly, even though it is limited.

There are two types of people who live on the East Coast in my opinion. Those who relax from the face pace of life by increasing that pace to blow off steam, and those who spend their down time working on other projects.

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine the other day and we were talking about what each of us did this past weekend. Her weekend included multiple parties, sporting events, and the like. Mine included cleaning the house, cutting my grass, and getting a planter bed ready for the garden I intend on starting. And of course she said what I did wasn't fun.

Or was it?

To me, it was fun. I took great pride in being able to cut grass where none existed 6 months ago. I took great pride in being able to look at a lawn that was the result 15 bags of compost, a pickaxe, some seed, fertilizer, and patience. I mean why spend a couple thousand dollars on having a landscape company come out and do the work when I can do it myself for about $200? And to me, sweating my ass off outside while working on my lawn was completely relaxing. One may think that is boring, but not I. And find me someone who does not cherish the smell of fresh cut grass in a city and I will show you someone who is quite frankly a waste of space.

So, to some, maybe I am considered boring. To some others, I am considered sensible. So, let's go with sensibly boring.

And you know what? There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever. There is nothing wrong with not having an insatiable need to be everywhere, be seen by everyone, and mix and mingle and meet new people every single second of every single day. There is nothing wrong with getting some work done, even when you could be doing something else. There is nothing wrong with preferring to go out in small groups to quite places with good beer and a calm atmosphere as opposed to a loud club with overpriced weak ass drinks made with shitty booze.

And most importantly I think, especially these days, is that there is nothing wrong with being frugal and saving money so that one can do the things one wants to do as opposed to needlessly spending money on things that have no value or real meaning. (Now you may be thinking, "But, didn't you just get a new car?" And I would say yes, but there was meaning behind it. It wasn't acquired just for the hell of it)

Just my two cents anyway.

9 comments:

  1. I 100% agree with you. Real life, on a day to day basis, isn't always terribly exciting but you can still be content. I have been very happy lately just being on my own and working on my novel. And I totally get why you would take pride in fixing up your yard, and why that would be enjoyable for you.

    I say, to each his own. Sometimes the best weekends are those that you DON'T spend all your time running around like a crazy person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I LOVE house projects and really miss owning my own house, having a yard etc. So I am actually jealous ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOTHING is boring when you enjoy it. Some weekends I have the option of going out with groups and yet I sometimes still choose to sit home and read. Boring? Maybe, but to me, enormously fulfilling. I see the satisfaction from doing hard work and reaping the results. That's what's important. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. preach. there is nothing wrong with being "boring." i spent most of my twenties in dread fear of being considered dull. it wasn't until i got divorced and started paying attention to what *i* needed and wanted that i realized how little it matters what other people think of my recreational preferences.

    case in point: over valentine's day, i stayed in with the boyfriend, in sweats, watching iron chef reruns and eating takeout peruvian chicken. i was told by several people that the evening sounded dull. my god, it was GREAT, though.

    moral: do what makes you happy. if you like to garden and drink in relative tranquility (something i am SO with you about, by the way), do it. screw 'em if they don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She shouldn't have said boring. She should've said solitary (which to her may read as boring). I love yard work and feel accomplished when the house is clean, but you isolated yourself the entire weekend by doing only these things. You can find a good balance between a weekend of "multiple parties and sporting events" and "by myself mowing grass and cleaning windows."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to that!

    Enjoy your time the way that makes you feel best. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll make an observation about your friend. Most people feel the need to be on the go all the time because they have something to prove, that they have friends, are popular, and people want them.

    Moving at Mach 3 will run its course sooner than later, eventually the idea of doing yard work will sound more appealing that doing shots at a bar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. makes me want to cut the grass. Love that smell....sitting back covered in sweat and grass clippings......sipping a beer looking at your manicured lawn....not much better IMO. Home ownership has its perks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe it's the difference between owning a place and renting. I don't have huge responsibilities like landscaping because I rent a place. If I owned, I'd probably spend a lot more time at home--mostly because I'd be so proud of it.

    I do think you're unfairly dichotomizing people though. We're not either social butterfly who desperately needs attention or sensibly boring, never leaving the house. All that matters is that you enjoyed how you spent your weekend.

    ReplyDelete