Thursday, December 23, 2010

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like...

Dear Diary:

I finally bought a Christmas tree a few days ago. It is 8 feet tall. White lights, silver ornaments. Silver star on top. It looks like how a Christmas tree should look. And it is real, so it smells like how a Christmas tree should smell.

It also apparently comes crashing down when it is out of balance and shatters many of the silver glass ornaments that you have hanging on it while you are upstairs, causing a fairly sizable mess comprised of pine needles, broken glass, and water (because if you do not keep them watered they can dry and catch on fire, and well, that would just fucking suck).

Fake trees do not do this. Why? Because you put them together and they are balanced. They also have practically no weight to them. But an 8 foot tree is not exactly light. Furthermore, it is a tree, with an actual trunk, that isn't what one would exactly call perfectly shaped. Close, but not quite.

But I do have the tree I've always wanted. At least that is something.

7 comments:

  1. Ugh, that sucks. I hear ya. I love real trees, and I've never had a fake tree before, but I am thinking that next year I may have to break down and do the fake tree thing and burn a balsam candle for scent. But I don't want to, damnit.

    At any rate, I bet it was really nice looking before it came tumbling down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, despite the crash. I bet it looks beautiful and smells awesome. Merry Christmas friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope Christmas goes much smoother. Balance is good, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, my husband and I are both very allergic to trees, so we have to go fake. It may comfort you to know (or maybe not) that our tree is tipping over as well. Hopefully it's strategical placement near a corner will prevent accidents...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll give you credit for going gang busters with an 8 footer...those things are a pain in the butt to put up. My 6 footer crashed too, at least I didn't have the ornaments on it yet.

    It's coming down tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, hope you didn't loose any ornaments you were attached to in the crash . . .

    It may be the mommy/cat owner in me, but a "fake" tree and shatter proof ornaments are still durn festive.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. gaah, the fallen tree. did that once.

    hope you had a great holiday, silver glass notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete