Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Why I Like Not Dating

Dear Diary:

I am loving the whole not dating thing at the moment. I am loving the whole not even worrying about dating at the moment. In fact, I think I like it so much because...

-I don't have to worry about making a good first impression.

-I can get back to a routine of working, working out, writing, and doing my own thing.

-Dating is hazardous to the waistline. I don't have to worry about that at all.

-No more wondering, "Why?"

-I can spend more time with friends.

-I can spend more time focusing on myself, and not worrying about what someone else is thinking.

-Less fucking pressure.

-I am saving a shit ton of money. Enough in fact that I may go car shopping, or SUV shopping rather.

-I can also focus more time on something that I have always wanted to do: brew my own beer.

-I can do whatever the fuck I want. If I want to be lazy, I can be lazy. If I want to work on my house, I can work on my house. If I want to work on my health, I can work on my health. I don't have to explain my actions to anyone. I don't have to tell any stories. I do not have to feel embarrassed if I choose to relax on a weekend as opposed to going out all the time and doing a shit ton of activities.

Sure, it can be lonely. But feeling lonely sometimes is better than feeling worthless.

10 comments:

  1. ooh. i think i should have that last line tattooed somewhere on my body where i can see it regularly. that's definitely something i need to remember.

    glad you're digging your new routine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Embracing non-dating (or a dating hiatus as I've done in the past!) is a good thing sometimes. After going through it over and over, it sorta continues to suck after awhile when they don't go well. I know the feeling too. Recharge it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so get this right now, as I just ended a two month relationship and realized that I need to focus on myself. Take a break, relax for a while, I don't blame you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely takes the pressure off, but the loneliness is killer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't doing whatever you want amazing? I got that same feeling when I started living alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sarg, it is, except that I have a roommate. but i still do what I want. and he works at a bar, so my bar tabs are not that huge. that is always a bonus

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh stellar. cheap bar tabs=key to full bank account=more alcohol. it's cyclical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i completely agree! screw dating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So how is dating hazardous to the waistline? Is it because you eat out so much?

    My breakup has been great for my waistline. I weigh less than I have in years. The broken-heart-no-appetite diet does wonders!

    I know what you can do with your shit-ton of money. And it can solve your problem of needing a beach. A lot of people have been suggesting to me that I take a singles cruise over the holidays-- you know, to distract me from the crushing loneliness. I'm considering it. Apparently, you can get great deals if you do it last-minute. I still need to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snark:

    Beer has calories. Good beer has more calories. It's not so much the eating out, it's the meeting for a drink, and subsequent eating.

    ReplyDelete