Friday, May 21, 2010

That's What Friends Are For

Dear Diary:

Today was my buddy's birthday, and for a birthday present, his landlord gave him a nice little eviction....

Yeah, you heard me.

I was in meetings most of the morning, and when I got back my brother had send me an urgent text to call as soon as possible. When I made the call, I found out my friend was being evicted that very second.

Now, I hope you understand why I feel the need to write about this. Do I feel bad for my friend? Yes, I definitely do. He has been out of work for over a year now and is just trying to survive in this shitty fucking economy that we find ourselves in (although it is getting better, and if you don't believe me, see how much your retirement account has gained over the last year).

I called him and told him he could stay with me as long as he needed. So much for living by myself, which I cherished. But, I can manage. I am doing something for a friend that is needed. And I want to do it for him. I can't stand to see the people that are lose to me suffer. This guy was in my wedding. We have known each other since we were in high school. Although we don't see each other often (which is definitely changing as we speak), he is the type of guy that I can call whenever, and he will be there, no questions asked.

If there is a downside, it is that my living room now looks like a garbage truck vomited all over it. He had to pack stuff in whatever he could, which was large black garbage bags. I have literally doubled the amount of stuff in my house in one afternoon.

But I don't care. He needs me, and I am there for him, regardless of how much it may be an inconvenience to me personally. That is what friends do.

When I was going through hell over a year ago, I had people like that. If I can pay it forward even a little bit by doing this, then it is worth it.

But if he fucks up my kitchen and ruins my knives, I will cut off his balls.

5 comments:

  1. Soon you slay me as always. Good man to be there for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see that someone actually knows what being a true friend means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are being a great friend, and I'm sure he totally appreciates it...and I would feel the same way, wanting to help but also a part of me would miss the living alone part (something I never thought I'd want/like!)and the living room mess-ness ;-) But, hey, you guys will have fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good friends are always there for each other in any way needed...good for you, paying it forward is wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. good on you for helping out your buddy. sending good vibes for recovery for him (and sanity for the both of you in the short term)!

    ReplyDelete