Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Year Ago

Dear Diary,

One year ago, I woke up married. That same day, I went to bed legally single. I guess today is like my one year anniversary or something then, right?

It's funny. For the last few days, I knew this day was approaching, and I didn't know how I was going to feel or what I was going to do. But, today turned out to be just like any other day in the last year of my life. I woke up, went to work, hit the gym, and now am just settling in.

To be honest, I didn't have time to reflect much today on my first year of being single again.

That is fine with me.

Right now, I am to physically tired from my workout to be able to think of anything profound to say regarding the last year. And that is fine with me too.

The fact that I can think of nothing profound to say probably is a good indication that the last year was just a year. It was nothing special as far as a time period. However, it was special in the fact that in the last year, I rediscovered who I am. But other than that, I have no GIGANTIC news to report.

One completely ironic thing that I noticed though is that, minus having student loans, and minus me now being a homeowner, I have the exact same amount of credit card debt, and the exact same amount in my savings account, as I did before I bought my ex-wife her engagement ring.

If that is not coming full circle, I don't know what is.

I wish I had something more to tell you, but like I said, today was just a day, just like any other day in my life.

8 comments:

  1. my one year ago happened a few months back...just anothe day. but it symbolises the beginning of something better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Physical recovery is quick! A scotch and a good night's rest...mental recovery -as in- getting on with your life and looking towards the future is what counts. The fact that you have nothing profound to say doesn't seem like a bad thing. Do we always have to address all of life's circumstances with a quip or witticism?

    ...today was just another day in my AWESOME life...

    That works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know, I think having nothing "profound" to say IS telling, you're right, it does show that you have moved on, and that you are a better and stronger person now than you were before. happy, uh, anniversary? To you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first year is to just get through pal. If that's all you've got to say about it then you've survived it like a champion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been married, but having a child with a man, and then seperating feels similar.. I think. Anyways way to make it a year! I bet it'll get easier with time! I found you through Big City Dad, and just wanted to compliment you on a blog. Its great to see a guy blogger who really writes about his feelings! I look forward to more posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Big City Dad. The first year is just to get through! We are all here for you. All my best, Pippi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it sad that you evaluate your progress from divorce monetarily. Money doesn't mean much, R. You have made progress in other ways, but you've hit a bump in the road. You're doing the right thing getting on track with your health, but how are you doing with your spiritual life? I'm not saying go to church. I know that's not the answer for everyone. How about working on you on the inside? Peace and hugs, HAM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not measuring progress monetarily. It was just something I noticed, and something I found ironic.

    ReplyDelete