Sunday, February 28, 2010

Why I Write

Dear Diary,

I had a rather mundane and uneventful weekend. Friday night I relaxed with a movie. Saturday I spent working on my house for the most part. Today, I spent working on my house and cooking for the most part.

The one real break in the weekend was when I got to meet a fellow blogger for coffee Saturday afternoon. I will not tell you who it was that I met, because you would only be insanely jealous. We had a great conversation, and she asked me a question that I don't really know if I have ever fully answered yet: Why do I write?

(Yes it was a she. No I did not hit on her. Snap out of it)

So, why do I write?

I don't write for you. I write for me. I write because it is my therapy. I write because when I started this, there was nothing out there in existence that spoke to me as a young man going through utter emotional hell.

Diary, I created you because you did not exist, but I created you for me.

I write because words are my way of escaping. I don't do it for fame, and I sure as fuck don't do it for money (well, that is, unless any literary agents or publishers want to give me a book deal based on everything I have written to date, then I will happily cash their fat ass checks). I don't do it to meet people, and I don't do it to score points with anyone.

I write because I want to, not because I have to, or because I in some way need to feel validated or vindicated.

My story is my story, and it belongs to no one else (well, unless aforementioned literary agent or publishers comes a knocking, then you can buy me in paperback).

I don't write to read your comments. I don't write to solicit an opinion, although all are valued.

I write because it is cleansing. I write because I love words. I write because I do not know how to talk.

I write because it is how I bring art, creativity, and beauty into my life. I guess you could call it my artistic talent, well, that and cooking.

5 comments:

  1. Divorced Guy, I enjoy reading. - Pippi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would hope that is why most people write... though I know of some bloggers that write absurd or "shocking" things only to generate comments. I envy your follow through though; I have a few posts or starts in mind that I should really put down on paper but don't feel quite ready to yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both.

    Brett, as far as you being ready, I have found that I am most ready when I feel that I am not ready, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree.

    Writing is cleansing and should be done for you. Few can put thoughts into words and fewer yet words onto paper -virtual or otherwise- and solict emotion in others.

    I echo on what Brett said about follow-through and agree that bridging the gap on draft-to-live post can be difficult! Although sometimes the most cleansing part of the processing can be clicking PUBLISH.

    I love reading this blog, not because I can relate in any way and I actually stumbled across it through a friend who reads you religiously. I read because I find your style refreshing and geniune; that and the fact that I know of no one else on this Earth who would so readly drop the F-bomb more often than I!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post - and I agree that blogging should be for you first, and foremost. Sure, it's fantastic to meet friends along the way and get feedback and comments and opinions, but bottom line, it should be for you, as it is for me as well. Well done!

    ReplyDelete