Monday, November 9, 2009

Sushi

Dear Diary:

I love sushi. I mean, I really really love sushi. There is something so simple, yet elegant about a nice piece of sushi. I didn't always like sushi. In fact, there was once a time where the thought of sushi made me want to vomit.

I can remember the very first time I had a piece of sushi. This happened probably about eight years ago. I was out with a bunch of friends whom I have known since I was in high school. We went to some place in Clarendon, and I cannot remember the name of it right now. One of my buddies ordered a couple pieces of sushi, and when I made a disgusted face, he had me try one. It was tuna. I ate it. I thought it was fucking horrible.

Fast forward a few years, and my ex was working in Seattle for a week. I took a trip out to visit her as I had never been to the city, and we had a nice little vacation. My ex liked sushi, and since we were on the Pacific Rim, I figured there was no better place in the States to try some sushi.

I went all in. I had nigiri, as well as maki, and I fell in love with it. The only sushi I will not try is eel, because it just does not look appetizing. However, I have become a big fan of baby octopus.

Anyway, last night after running around all day buying appliances and working with my HVAC guy, I was tired, and craving sushi. There is this great place near me in Alexandria, Kyoto Sushi, and it has become my "go to" sushi place when I have a craving. If you want some good sushi, you should check this place out.

I showed up about an hour before closing, after not having eaten anything all day. I can pretty much eat a ton of the stuff, and honestly, could eat it every day if I had a bottomless bank account. The sushi chefs there recognize me because when I do go there, it is generally on a day when I haven't eaten anything else, and well, let's just say I enjoy it.

You are probably wondering why I am writing about sushi. It is a completely random topic to write about right?

The thing I love most about sushi is that I can sit at the sushi bar and eat alone, and not feel alone. I do not have to sit at a table with more than one chair and see other tables filled with couples and families. I do not have to have a conversation with anyone if I do not want to. I can be by myself, with my thoughts, and the wonderful tastes of what is in front of me. I can laugh with the sushi chef, and I can talk to him as he prepares the feast. I can focus on his mastery of the knife and his delicate movements that create something so simple yet amazing.

It's quality "me" time if you ask me.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I can so identify with this. Last month I had a sushi lunch date with myself once a week.

    ReplyDelete